Friday, October 19, 2018

Year 4 Steers!


Yesterday, I rushed home from teaching and visiting, just in time for our two new steers to arrive. (I didn't exactly make it on time as the truck/trailer was already backed down the driveway).

They're here and they're plenty big! (625lbs and 700lbs) They are both percentage Gelbvieh. (and I think percentage Angus as well).  It feels pretty good to be ripping open grain bags and using my red bucket again. :)
We have this little pen that we built for the first steers we had 2 years ago. This pen was basically destroyed by those steers with their big escape. Since then  we have used the pasture, but I thought we should try this pen again. 
Mostly, I'm hoping for no escapes this year. 




This guy has to get better at taking pictures with me. ;)

We haven't named them yet and I still need to memorize their ear tags to remember which is which.

This is now my 4th year raising beef steers, so we'll see what these guys will teach me. :) Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment