Monday, June 24, 2019

our relationship in songs

I only listened to a few of these songs and thought of her when she was still alive. A few weeks after she died, I thought a YouTube playlist was needed, and then I wanted to be able to listen to this playlist anytime and anywhere, so I made a Spotify playlist. I listen to it mostly at night, or when I want to do some writing/think of her.

At the HFH graduation last year, we had to sit at the bottom of the steps as we couldn't get to the top. She wasn't thrilled about it and I kept saying "well offer it up" (like that was somehow helpful...)
She fell asleep and during one of the slideshows this song played: Count on me- Bruno Mars, and it made me think of her and I. This was the first song that made me think of her and I. Starting in the fall I had a monthly Monday night babysitting gig, I'd visit her first, and drive west and sing this song thinking of her.

When she was in the hospital for being unresponsive, I went 80 on 14 to get to her fast. I couldn't take it anymore and just wanted to be with her. I listened to "its the end of the world as we know it" by REM (and "thunderstuck" by AC/DC) the WHOLE way there. Her daughter said earlier that afternoon "this may be the beginning of the end" so I thought my world was falling apart right then and there. Every time I hit University Avenue I played "Jump Around".
Once I knew she was coming home from the hospital, I thought of her as "safe and sound" so I listened to the song from the Hunger Games. Saturday night of when she was in the hospital, I went back to visit her, but, well, it wasn't a great visit, I listened to "safe and sound" on the way home, and reminded myself that she was going to be okay even though that night wasn't great.

We got more time with her....

Then, I realized we had a bit of a "love affair" going so when I listened to "falling in love with you" (Elvis, and Andrea Boccelli), I'd listened to those with "count on me".

If we didn't see each other for just a day or two, I thought of "its been a long day without you again, and I'll tell you all about it when I see you again", so in went "See You Again"

These were the songs that I would think of her when she was still alive.

At the cemetery, I thought of the words "we laid our dead in sacred ground" so I threw in "Home" by Dierks Bentley.

Our time together was "the best days of my life" so in went "Summer of 69".
She loved me so in went "everybody loves me".

"Supermarket flowers" and "this town" went in for the sadness aspects. Although I am not sure what they have to do with her or her and I.

"Then" by Brad Paisley, because as I reflect, its like each "milestone" of our relationship, I thought I loved her (I did!), but, Love increases...

My writing document of our relationship/her and I/her life is called "a long way to the top" and is more of an illusion to Pier Georgio Frasatti's "v'erse l'alto" than rock and roll... still, this song made it in.

Around the time of the HFH graduation "time of your life" by Green day circulated our house a bunch, and she gave me "the time of my life" so that made it in the list.

About a week ago I was flicking though Instagram and someone had linked this on their story and I fell in love with it almost immediately....so beautiful! "if we were vampires"-Jason Isbell and the 400 unit.

When this playlist is on, bring on the tears for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment